After spending countless hours writing a book, the next step is getting it published. However, there is always the likelihood that your writing will contain errors and that you might overlook some important details. Your book should be well-written and error-free in spelling and grammar. The vocabulary used must be flawless, the punctuation used to clarify sentence meaning must be correct, and the language used must be smooth and relevant. This stage usually requires the assistance of a professional editor to identify and correct any errors you may have missed.
Professional editors are essentially editors who specialize in editing. While you may be qualified in your field, they are trained to identify and correct flaws in written work in order to improve the overall quality. If you want to hire a professional to help you with the editing, please look through the list below.
- 1. Thoughtful Book Edit (Fiction or Nonfiction) by Jesse
- 2. Edit and Proofread Your Book Professionally by Paisley
- 3. Fiction or Nonfiction Book or Ebook Edit by Quata
- 4. Line Edit and Proofread Your Book Manuscript by Callum
- 5. Proofread Your Science Fiction or Fantasy Novel by Victor
- 6. Edit and Proofread Your Fiction or Nonfiction Book by Anna
- 7. Children Book Proofreading and Editing by Dina
- 8. Fiction or Nonfiction Book Editing by Angee
- 9. Your Trusted Book Editor for Fiction by Keith
- 10. Copy Edit & Proofread Your Fiction Book by Pollycassandra
- 11. Professional Book Editor for Fiction and Non-Fiction by Matt
- 12. Meticulously Proofread Your Fiction and Nonfiction by Sarah
- Reasons to Hire a Professional Book Editor
1. Thoughtful Book Edit (Fiction or Nonfiction) by Jesse
Jesse (@rocjib1) assists authors in telling their stories. He has worked with both traditional publishers and independent authors to get books published. He also collaborated with a best-selling author to create an online course on editing.
- Basic: Copy-editing to correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Standard: Line edits to improve concision and flow.
- Premium: Standard package plus extensive feedback to improve manuscript structure and content.
Check out Jesse's service here
2. Edit and Proofread Your Book Professionally by Paisley
Paisley (@P_prophet) began her freelance proofreading career in 2015 and hasn't looked back since — she had finally found something she was truly passionate about. She has assisted over 100 indie authors in getting one step closer to realizing their dream of being published over the last few years.
Paisley offers sentence-level editing for creative writing, with a focus on novels. The rates are divided into three levels:
- Proofreading – $0.01 per word.
- Light Copyediting – $0.015 per word.
- Moderate Copyediting – $0.02 per word.
Check out Paisley's service here
3. Fiction or Nonfiction Book or Ebook Edit by Quata
Quata (@Qdmerit) has over 23 years of experience as a professional writer and editor in Silicon Valley. She graduated from Pepperdine University with a B.A. in English and an M.A. in creative writing from San Francisco State University.
The service includes story suggestions, sentence editing, character development, verb tense, dialog, readability, and flow. She does not reorganize or rewrite documents, but she will give you some pointers on how to improve your book.
Check out Quata's service here
4. Line Edit and Proofread Your Book Manuscript by Callum
Callum (@cj8168) is an American copywriter and author with a lot of experience. He is an expert in e-book/print formatting, proofreading, and editing fiction, non-fiction, and copy for a wide range of markets.
- Basic: Line editing and proofreading of 10,000 words.
- Standard: Line editing and proofreading of 20,000 words.
- Premium: Line editing and proofreading of 40,000 words.
Check out Callum's service here
5. Proofread Your Science Fiction or Fantasy Novel by Victor
Victor (@victor_serrano) is a self-published author and former English teacher who specializes in Science Fiction and Fantasy. He has years of writing, editing, and proofreading experience and is very knowledgeable about writing and narrative structure.
Victor will check your Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for errors in spelling and grammar. Additional services include feedback on issues discovered while reading your manuscript and suggestions for improvement.
Check out Victor's service here
6. Edit and Proofread Your Fiction or Nonfiction Book by Anna
Anna (@anna_editor) is a creative writer and editor who has a knack for word-flow and a passion for clear, fluid language. She holds an MFA in Creative Writing and provides tailored editing services to writers of all genres, both fiction and nonfiction.
- Basic: Proofread and line edit up to 30k words.
- Standard: Proofread and line edit up to 60k words.
- Premium: Proofread and line edit up to 90k words.
7. Children Book Proofreading and Editing by Dina
Dina Luisa (@dinasoulwriting) holds a bachelor's degree in English education and has been writing for over five years. As a freelancer, her goal is to provide you with high-quality manuscript writing, proofreading, and translation services.
- Basic: Proofread and Edit up to 1000 words.
- Standard: Proofread and Edit up to 2000 words.
- Premium: Proofread and Edit up to 5000 words.
8. Fiction or Nonfiction Book Editing by Angee
Angee (@sixtypercentman) is an author and entrepreneur who lives in the quaint town of West Chester, Pennsylvania. She’s written fantasy novels, sweet romances, and self-help nonfiction, and she loves assisting indie authors with their books.
- Basic: Edit & Proofread up to 10,000 words.
- Standard: Edit & Proofread up to 30,000 words.
- Premium: Edit & Proofread up to 60,000 words.
Check out Angee's service here
9. Your Trusted Book Editor for Fiction by Keith
Keith Gordon (@cosmic_copy26) has seven years of experience as a professional editor and is a co-founder and story architect at Duo Storytelling. He works with over a thousand authors, writers, and international organizations to help them improve their craft and communicate their message more effectively.
- Basic: Feedback on story mechanics, including theme, tone, character arcs, POV & narrative structure.
- Standard: Line-by-line edits to improve your text for flow, readability, clarity, and sentence structure.
- Premium: Line edits plus developmental review OR copyediting.
Check out Keith's service here
10. Copy Edit & Proofread Your Fiction Book by Pollycassandra
Pollycassandra is a freelance fiction editor who provides high-quality editing at a reasonable price. She specializes in romance, thrillers, science fiction, fantasy, middle grade, young adult, and new adult fiction, but she's willing to take on any genre. She has a bachelor's degree in English writing with a focus on editing and publishing.
Pollycassandra will proofread and copyedit your novel. She'll read your book at least twice, correcting all grammatical and structural errors, ensuring that your novel is ready for querying, publication, and so on.
Check out Pollycassandra's service here
11. Professional Book Editor for Fiction and Non-Fiction by Matt
Matt (@mrtwriter) is a best-selling author from the United Kingdom. He is an expert proofreader, copywriter, and editor. He also provides expert self-publishing advice, as well as book keyword and category research for Amazon KDP, to help you increase book sales.
Matt will be your professional book editor, ensuring that your work is error-free, reads beautifully, and capable of capturing the hearts of your readers.
12. Meticulously Proofread Your Fiction and Nonfiction by Sarah
Sarah (@sarahmonious) holds a bachelor's degree in English literature and has professional proofreading experience with fiction novels.
Sarah will edit, proofread, suggest fixes for awkward sentences, remove all unnecessary commas, and make minor editing changes to fiction and non-fiction works of any length.
Check out Sarah's service here
Reasons to Hire a Professional Book Editor
Without further ado, let's look at these reasons.
Depending on the number of pages of a book, the editing aspect could take days, weeks, or even months. After spending so much time to complete the manuscript, spending additional time for revision may not be the best. Editing a book is stressful and time-consuming.
There may be other things that require your attention, and you may not have time for editing a book. So, hiring someone to do this for you is much more practical. Hiring a professional editor saves you time and allows you to do other important things.
Correct Your Errors and Improve Your Work
All professional authors understand the importance of an editor. No matter how good you are with your writing skills, there are times that you will make grammatical errors. Before publishing your work, it is crucial to have an editor look over it.
An editor will help you correct any grammatical error they find in the book. Also, they can help you rephrase sentences to improve the content of your work. They can also advise you on what to add or remove from the book to make it better.
Speeds Up Publication
Having an editor would help speed up publication. Trying to do the revisions yourself will take a lot of time and delay the publication of the book. A professional editor has the right skills and knowledge to finish up editing tasks within a short period.
Saves You Frustration
Editing your book all by yourself can be very frustrating. You may need to edit a lot of grammatical errors that will leave you frustrated with everything. Hiring a professional will help prevent such emotional dilemmas. You won't have to worry about anything since the editor will do all that needs to be done.
Finally, the contribution of a competent book editor is that you will receive a professionally polished manuscript. You no longer have to worry about grammatical errors after your book is published. This will give you peace of mind knowing that your readers won't find any embarrassing or amateurish errors while reading your book.